View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 12:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thank you for your comment

Cutting off the pain is a no win situation. I'm so glad you did your homework and didn't chop off a body part with the hope of chopping off the pain. I assure you, if I hadn't been forced into my amputation (body wide septic is the stage when you don't have much choice) I never would have done it. I supported black legs (and still am my right one) for years, so even when it looks all black and nasty, don't think you're at the end of your rope. It's amazing how bad it can get, yet cutting off the limb only causes new or worse problems. The amount of pain I have in my short little stump amazes me. I have every bit as bad of RSD type pain, but now I also have shocks that will support a coffee pot or at times my 2 ton A/C unit outside my kitchen window. We're talking about very intense experiences here! While I understand the desperation of wanting the pain to stop, I must assure the original writer that this is not a solution but instead will only cause more grief and sadness. Boy am I glad you did your homework. You're a smart person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNcrps2 View Post
Emptdepth,, Once RSD is chronic(which yours is) anytime there is an injury causing pain to your body the RSD will send more signals of pain from your brain. So if you amputate(which believe me i have considered until i researched) your foot the RSD will get worse and possibly spread to other areas. You also run the risk of phantom limb pain where your brain has had pain for so long that even when the limb is removed your brain still sends pain signals to a foot that isnt there. When blocks dont work anymore it means instead of sympathetic mediated pain it is now sympathetic independent pain. The brain was overloaded with pain signals so instead of sending messages thru normal pathways the brain has found other pathways to send pain. So removing your foot could actually cause RSD to spread to anyother limb. Unfortunately, like you, i still have times that i could cut off my arm because of pain but i know it wont help. momof4
bobinjeffmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
RNcrps2 (08-29-2010), Rrae (08-29-2010)