View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 11:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterMyNap View Post
If she seriously needs medical attention, she would not get denied and be billed after the fact. If she has no earning power, she would likely qualify for Medicaid which would cover those expenses.

For incidental spending, I'd recommend a prepaid Visa or MC with a fixed balance. You can get them in any denomination and when it's gone, it's gone.

Maybe a few of those left in the hands of a responsible third party to whom she can go for help?

You can also set up a bank account into which you can transfer a cash allowance at your discretion. Take care to do it in person and to decline all offers of extension or overdraft protection.

If this is an issue for life, the court can appoint a guardian ad litem who will take on the responsibility of managing money for her.

I know that Walgreen's offers an Express Pay option on Rx where you set up a credit card used exclusively for your meds on pick-up. It does not cover anything else.
This is such a great suggestion: a card with a set limit, a fixed balance. I like that idea more and more - even for all of us who don't have those limitations because the truth is, in today's world, the safer the better.

I read a very good article in the Reader's Digest entitled " What an identity thief won't tell you " Be extra careful at the bank or at the ATM because someone could be holding his cell phone and... taking a picture of your card at the same time!

The thieves also thank you for using your debit card instead of your credit card!

I also learned in the same article that in France credit cards have the owner's photo on it. Thieves don't like that...

I share everyone's concern for protecting those who need that protection.
whispers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (08-30-2010), Vowel Lady (09-08-2010)