Thread: AFO advice
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 12:52 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default AFO advice

Hi everyone, havnt posted in a while but I wondered if other AFO (Ankle Foot Orthotic) wearers could give me some advice.

Right now I wear 2 Arizona extended AFOs. The one on my right foot is much more comfortable than the one on my left. I am not sure why, although it seems like the one on my left foot does not come as far forward on the bottom. I get pressure on the outside of my left ankle and under the arch of my foot because it doesnt support the ball of my foot. I am considering going in to talk to my foot doc about this and see what she thinks, perhaps get a new AFO? The orthotic center that fit me for it can do adjustments, but I dont see how they can lengthen it.

Wanted to get some input before I schedule an appointment. Budget is pretty tight right now as I am selling my third floor condo because walking up and down the stairs has gotten too difficult. Right now I am living in a ground floor apartment and paying mortgage and rent until the condo sells.

I spent all summer swimming 2 times a day to strengthen my legs so that I can get out of my wheelchair at work, but the more I wear the AFO on my left foot, the more painful it gets when I am standing. If I dont wear it, then the muscles in my leg and foot get so tired they cramp up. And the foot drop makes walking tricky as its easy for me to trip and fall.
kreink is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote