View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 10:09 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

mbrook.

I am with you about meds. I am on a SSRI and anti-seizure med. The SSRI has serious side effects. I take it to help with my mind getting stuck in repetitive mundane thoughts, what I call looping.

Anti-depressants are commonly prescribed for PCS. Often by well meaning doctors who are ignorant about PCS.

My SSRI causes postural rigidity (muscle tension) symptoms.

Amitriptyline is commonly prescribed in small doses ( 10 mgs per day) to help with some of the PCS symptoms.

Anti-seizure meds can also be over-prescribed. Have you had seizures that are being treated or are the seizure meds a preventative measure?

It helps with the frustration when the PCS patient takes some control over their treatment. By learning as much as possible, the PCS patient can make decisions about meds and other treatments from a position of knowledge. Just letting the doctors take shots in the dark as they try to treat the PCS can make the situation worse. Very few physicians have any true understanding of PCS. They tend to treat the anxiety and depression symptoms without much, if any consideration for the PCS.

The best physicians will listen to the patient and confirm the symptoms that are from the PCS. The patient often needs to know their symptoms are PCS caused and that they are not 'going crazy.' The TBI Survival Guide helps with this 'am I going crazy" issue.

Try to get to know and understand the new you. Then you can say, "This is just the PCS talking, not my mind going crazy. "

Believe me, we have all been there.

Have you had a neuro-psych assessment? It can help with understanding your symptoms.

Again, let us know about your specific symptoms. Someone will have gone through the same symptoms and learned accommodations or work-arounds for dealing with them.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote