View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 07:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlek View Post
Please try this site:
http://telemedicine.org/stamford.htm
First, click on from the 'Table of contents' Diabetes in Skin Disease.... then?
Read first the 'Abstract', then the 'Introduction'..then?
Read about all the 'Diabetic Neuropathies'. WHY? Don't Have Diabetes?
Because this is what is happening to your vascular and lymphatic 'systems' as well as how the 'neuropathies' are being affected due to 'SOMETHING'.
I too got a giant whomp of edema after my PN had started, turned out that my thyroid was essentially dying at the time. The swelling, and the changes in the skin and color of that skin wasn't pretty in the least.
Have any docs done basic yet, better, extensive testing on your Thyroid? That was what caused my issues, I went from hypo-T[underactive] to Hashimoto's T [autoimmune/dead] thyroid in a short period... a year after my PN had started and my feet had swollen up beyond 3 shoe sizes during that one big, bad flare. If it were me? I'd ask to see what all tests have been done? And then get copies and GET ON-LINE and LEARN! Easier said than done tho.
Can/could you try to gently hand massageing your legs from the foot/ankle upwards past the knee to help get fluid out? Worth a try... Has ANYONE given you any strength building or retaining or flexibility exercises while you've been bed-bound? It's soo hard to get up and out, once you've been 'down a while'! More you can do or keep strong now? More easily you can get and keep more later to DO! 's! - j
I haven't looked at that website yet, but I will.

I cannot even stand to put lotion or creams on my feet more than once a week--massaging is not an option right now. I'm trying to slowly build up my tolerance of touching my feet, but they are incredibly sensitive right now. Touching them sends my feet into major spasms that last for so long that it's not worth it.

My thyroid has been tested many many times, but not since surgery. The clinic here doesn't do anything beyond the basic testing, so that isn't available to me.

Yes, I have been given several exercises to do... and also I do walk to the bathroom or kitchen throughout the day as needed. I also do a 2-15 minute walk (depending on my pain) around the house with the wheelchair to prevent blood clots.

♥ "Hope is more than a word; it's a state of being. It's a firm belief God will come through. Life brings rain... hope turns every drop into the power to bloom like never before." -Holley Gerth ♥

My name is Sarah and I am 25 years old. I have a lot of chronic health problems. Peripheral neuropathy and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) keep me bedridden the majority of the time. I also struggle with degenerative disc disease, disc desiccation, spondylolisthesis, arthritis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) with insulin resistance, allergies, sound sensitivities, and other health problems.
smae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (08-30-2010)