View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 09:25 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't know how bad your pd affects your work if you have been diagnosed for one year. I only know what my experience was. I was a draftsman and pd didn't really affect my work for a long time. I did tell my employer about my condition and he was very supportive. Also there was a month open season for signing up for long term care so I did that after I was diagnosed.
After about 8 yrs, my worst symptom was rigidity so I would hurt on my right shoulder and neck from constantly being on the mouse. I also had major back problems which made it hard to sit or stand for long periods. Finally I couldn't do it anymore, pain was so bad I couldn't concentrate, couldn't go on field trips, had to rest in ladies lounge every morning and afternoon.
I had long term disability thru company but it was hard to get. You have to be practically dead to qualify. First I had to go thru my short term disability. I applied for long term disability at that time.
The paperwork was long, had to have complete records from all doctors and other support services you used for your condition such as physical therapists, hospitals, chiropractors, etc. You also had to apply for SSDI at the same time. My long term disability pays 60% of your pay. It is a good plan. So I applied for both. With SSDI they required that I be seen by an appointed pschiatrist to evaluate and confirm my condition. I was finally, after about 6 months of waiting, approved for both.
Now every 6 months, my ltd plan requires an evaluation from doctors to confirm I am still disabled. So far, no problem there.
I don't think I would have gone thru all this if I could have continued to work as long as I could. I really loved my job and still miss it.
I wish you well, it is a hard decision. I took along time to make up my mind. My medications enabled me to work alot longer.
libra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EugeneS (09-05-2010)