Thread: New Poster
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 07:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy View Post
Hi,
I posted the below on the welcome new member intro board and I was referred to here.

I was attempting to look up some detailed information on RSD and just took a chance clicking on your link and I think it was the right thing to do...so thanks for being here.

I was diagnosed with RSD after a broken hand from a car wreck in June, 2004. I had never heard of it before and it was a very scary time as this was a w/c injury and decisions are very slow in coming for treatment. I had terrific doctors who kept me very confident that all would be well.

I read a little of the medication threads about Lyrica. I also was on Neurontin. Had no side effects while taking it as it was slowly built up in my system, but the side effects coming off it were not very good. I did that myself as I thought I was cured!! When that didn't seem to be working too well, the physical therapy doctor asked me to try Lyrica. He wanted to work my dosage up to at least 100mg 3x's a day; however, I did gain weight quickly - much to my total dismay. I take 75mg in the morning, and 50mg at midday and 50 mg at night. My primary physician asked me if I thought it worked as he will refill prescriptions that are already in force, but won't give it as a new script as he feels it is still too new. I do feel that it must be doing something, but what??? When I try to cut out the midday dose, I do feel more pain so? It's all a trial as everyone is different.

Now, my initial reason for looking for info is: I am to have periodontal work done early March and I'm scared. I had a tooth pulled and for at least 4 days after I had tremendous pain in my hand, forearm upper arm and shoulder. My husband is a bit leery about my going forward with the dental work as we don't know how I will react and RSD is still so unknown - neither of the dentists seem to have heard of it. So if anyone has any experience in this arena, I would certainly appreciate it. Also, info on flare ups would be so helpful. Dealing with pain everyday even when it is not at its worst is so tiring and energy zapping. Is there a way to prevent flareups? Will this ever go away? I know I am doing so much better than so many others, but this is so nice to be able to say these things 'out loud'. Anyone I've tried to discuss it with just worries about me and I don't want that.

I guess that's the long and short of it for now. Thank You.

Thanks for reading all this and a very beautiful weekend is wished for you all.
Cathy

Hi Cathy,

I have had RSD for about 3 years and dental work is deadly to a person with RSD. I started with an implant just as a normal procedure and unaware of the circumtances. My pain doctor stopped me from continuing and called my dentist and explained to him the relationship between dental work and RSD. I don't know the exact explanation but I believe it has something to do with the nerves they are very sensative in that area of the body and react to the RSD very badly. So I have been living with a temporary tooth for over a year I hate it.

Make sure your dentist knows you have RSD...
Good Luck.....Ann
AnnBon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote