View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 03:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

I just ran across the research that was done at Mayo Clinic on the chemicals involved in Gulf War Syndrome. I found it interesting that tho one of the drug isnt supposed to cross into the brain on the drugs did seem to cause that to happen with they were both involved. They tested the mestinon and the pyrethryn (not spelled right but its the bug repellant) that was on the uniforms. Sounds like they dont play well together.

Couple days after reading it it occurred to me that troops on mestinon could be more subject to stress and therefore more easily PSTD because mestinon heightens nervous system. I have struggled with feeling like I'd had coffee and when on it didnt use caffiene at all. Couldnt as it would make me very hyper. The research on this I saw was done on mice and the mice all had increase startle response when given mestinon. Stress of course is so hard on ones immune system so that would set people up for a lot of the autoimmune diseases.

I myself know of another soldier that has MG.

Annie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI6607 View Post
Hello to everyone! I am not too swift on computer but would like to know if anyone has any information on Desert Storm vets being diagnosed with MG. I retired from the military a year ago after almost 41 years of military service, finishing my career as a Colonel. Just a few months before I retired Mayo Clinic diagnosed me with the disease although my wife had told me for a couple of years that I was getting lazy eyes. Anyway, I take 180 mg of PB a day, but the symptoms of eye weakness and limb weakness seem to be worsening. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and musco-skeletal weakness during the VA Gulf War physicals in 1993 and wonder if those maladies could have been precursors to outright MG. Without feeling sorry for myself, I have documentation from Department of Defense that my unit was in the wind plume of the Sarin Gas explosion in Iraq in 1991, I took PB when combat started and organophosphates were used liberally around our tent sleeping and living areas.
Annie59 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
redtail (08-31-2010)