View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I have a question about long ago dentistry

I went to another state (West Virginia), I think, and they had a recreation of a village from a long time ago. Everyone was dressed in costume and if you spoke to someone they acted as if they were in character.

I will never forget when my husband and I went into the blacksmith's work place. He had horses and horseshoes and all kinds of instruments on this table in front of him, and he was showing all the people everything that was done WAY BACK IN THE DAY.

Then the guy says 'Oh, and you'll all find this interesting, the blacksmith is also the town dentist".

My husband burst out laughing and said: "Take a look at my wife's face".

It must have been written all over my face.

I just gulped "what do you mean the blacksmith was the town dentist, what are you talking about'? The guy picked up this LONG BIG thing and said "oh this is what he used to pull out teeth and they had no anesthetic" and I said "

'YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING'.

Everyone had a good laugh and I ran out because I couldn't take any more.

so here's my question.

Because we know that blacksmiths were also dentists, go back in time , WAY BACK, to when the Romans and the greeks were wearing togas.

Did people have cavities back then? I mean, I seem to have read that cavities ARE ONLY CAUSED BY SUGAR, and even if you never brushed your teeth in your life, if you never ate sugar, you wouldn't have a cavity?

Is this true? And what about wisdom teeth? Even if a person never had a cavity, what if they chomped down hard and broke a tooth, what did they do for infection, and how did they fix the tooth, and WHAT ABOUT WISDOM TEETH AND TOOTHACHES?

I can't believe I'm actually asking questions about teeth.

Thanks so much if you can educate me.

lol
Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote