15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpRN View Post
Distal leg: Intraepideramal nerve fiber density is reduced, about 3.4 fibers/mm

Distal thigh: Intraepidermal nerve fiber density is normal, about 8.0 fibers/mm

Proximal thigh: Intraepidermal nerve fiber density is normal, about 8.3 fibers/mm.

Impression: This biopsy is a mild distal small fiber sensory neuropathy.

Is this more of a definitive diagnosis than the EMG / NCS studies? (see previous post for those results.) Normal, abnormal.....after a $40K work-up I still am not sure what to think.

I was taking 2400 mg of Neurontin but cut that back to 1200mg because of swelling / pitting edema, that is not normal for me. Alpha Lipoic Acid 600mg per day and Tramadol 50mg as needed. The doc from CC wants me to be tested for Gluten Intolerance but that will wait until after the first of the year because of a change in insurance and having to meet a new deductible. Won't kill me to wait a few more months. Besides, I have 2 sisters-in-law that have celiac sprue and I have never had any of the symptoms that were experiencing when they were diagnosed.

Again.......would love to hear comments, suggestions or just a hello. Was officially diagnosed (or so I thought) back in Jan. and am still adjusting. Life is good right now. Don't know if it is the alpha lipoic acid or a remission period. Either way.....it feels good to be where I am right now and I am sending out good thoughts to all. Enjoy what is left of the summer.......I dread winter!! Wish I could hibernate then........what the heck, might even come out a few pounds lighter!!
I am glad you are feeling better in any event. I thought of you while I was driving home on Monday... all day long hundreds of miles. My hands were talking all the while after about noon....
"hello, remember me? Carpal tunnel?" I have a cushioned steering wheel cover but my right hand especially was very problematic. I had to move it, shake it, and rest it every 10 minutes. It seems better now, but I used my brace on it all summer and when I arrived home.

I also am putting a cushion between my knee and the door...as the meniscal trigger point on that lateral side doesn't like pressure there anymore! That seemed to help and even worked a little for my foot.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote