View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 09:00 AM
anon21816

anon21816

Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Mae View Post
Hey all
I wasn't quite sure what to title this message.
I have obviously been doing some research on the SCS before I tell my pain management doctor that I want to proceed forward with the process.
I have read about places in your body that the SCS can help... such as helping with neuropathy in your feet. I don't understand how they position the leads to reach the correct areas, but I don't really need to know how it works, just that it will work.
The one thing I am wondering about, though, is if anyone has it set up to help their back. I have a very severe case of peripheral neuropathy, but I also have 5 different things wrong with my back and have had chronic pain in my back since I was a small child.
I've read over and over that the FDA has not actually approved the SCS for help with back pain, though some doctors still set it up that way even though it isn't approved.
Can anyone confirm if this is still true? I have been hoping all along that I would be able to get relief not only in my feet, but also my back. However, if it's not approved by the FDA, I think I will have a hard time finding a doctor who will do that for me. I have two choices of towns an hour away (one south and one north) that I can go to have the surgery done. The town south of here has many doctors who will do the surgery, but the town north of here only has one. That's the town I want to go to because my doctor is a good friend of the rep and says that they use a newer and better technology than the town south of here. He said either would be okay, but if he were having the surgery, he would go north of here. I want to follow his advice and have the newer (and usually, though not always) technology. Since I only have one doctor there who can do this, if he won't set it up to help my lower back, then I won't have another doctor to check out.
The pain from the neuropathy is the greater pain, and the pain I am really looking to control so I can get my life back--but I just would really like to help the pain in my back as well. It isn't as bad as the pain in my feet, but some days are really bad.
Just curious if anyone has it set up for their lower back, and if anything has changed and if the FDA has approved it yet.
Thanks
Sarah
Hi Sarah

I originally started off with lower back pain of unknown origin I might add. After 4 surgeries and no further along whatsoever I started having neuropathetic pain down my legs. Which wasnt there when I first had my problem. Anyway, when I was asking about a SCS I was told that it is very good for Failed Back Syndrome (lower back pain ) and that I would benefit immensely from it. I would also benefit for the burning, tingling, stinging, stabbing pains that I get in my legs also.
So when it was implanted and set up, yes I get great relief in my legs and 'some' in my back. I am having it tweaked next week and Im confident that I WILL get it to cover the pain I have in my back, it often feels achey, heavy, dragging and painful. At the moment Im only get a limited amount of relief. But Im sure once its turned up etc it will definitely help my back. Im sure your doctor would only suggest it too if he felt that you would benefit from it. Im sure you know the procedure before you actually get to the permanent stage? the psychological test, then the trial and then the implant if all goes well. I do hope that if and when you get it that you too will gain some great relief from you pain.

Jackie
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (09-01-2010)