View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 01:13 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker View Post
Tom,
Your story went straight to my heart. At 46 I was Diagnosed with Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis (PPMS). I am now 54, in a chair the last year and half. Sometimes it is overwhelming, I remember how it used to be and realize now that's changed. But I know I can't leave, I still have stuff to do for/with my husband and kids. Yes it sucks but it is what it is. Don't try to predict your future (chair, etc,), no one can, not even the best neurologist. One day at a time.
Hello, Kicker: Thanks for your message. Well, that is the first time I ever heard of PPMS, so I thank you for telling me something I needed to know.

One of the maddening things about neuro diseases is that so little is understood about where they "are" and where they "are going." No wonder the dxs are so vague, based as they are on elimination. Let me note that at 54, you still have much of your life in front of you; consequently, I find your attitude to be more than just appropriate: it is essential. At 66, objectively speaking, I'm facing a different situation.

Your note on "One day at a time" resonated. The best advice I got so far came a year ago from my brother, a retired neurosurgeon. "Sometimes you have to just put one foot in front of the other." The problem is, as time passes and my condition worsens, one foot -- the right one -- seems to have other ideas.
lebelvedere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (09-01-2010), Addy (09-05-2010), Alffe (09-01-2010), barbo (11-08-2010), Doody (09-17-2010), ginnie (12-11-2010), Mark56 (09-04-2010), MelodyL (09-03-2010)