View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 04:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello! I'm a fellow bipolar. I've never had ECT, although the last time I was hospitalized, a nurse suggested that I try it. (I've been through a slew of anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, and anti-seizure meds, as well as what they call "stabilizing drugs.") One thing that did concern me was the stories of memory problems....

Alas, though, I developed memory problems from all the meds the psychiatrists have put me on. I finally had to give up my teaching career as a psychology professor (yes, of all things), and go on disability. I would lose my train of thought when trying to lecture, and so on. Sigh.

I was diagnosed with bipolar ten years ago. I am now a "stay-at-home" mom, you might call it--and I've been struggling with my loss of a job, an "identity." Believe it or not, my husband was also diagnosed with bipolar a few years ago. He's on disability, too. We do what we can to survive. We're both in therapy.

We have two sons--and we put both of them in therapy, realizing that their having two bipolar parents wouldn't give them an ideal life. They're doing okay, I think.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (09-01-2010), Dmom3005 (09-01-2010), Mari (09-01-2010), waves (09-01-2010)