View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 10:21 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Please help me understand MRI

Hi I'm new to this forum. I have been on other forums but this one seems to have really helpful information. I have read about some of the things that have been found on my MRI but if someone could explain it all together it may be easier for me to understand. I feel I am in more pain than I should be because it doesn't seem from what I understand that I have anything seriously wrong. But, I can hardly walk or stand most days. I have to lift my leg into the car after work. I have so much lower back (sacrum area) and leg pain, mainly anterior thighs (bilateraly) but the pain does radiate down to feet. I also have Lymes disease so that doesn't help. My doctor is out of town for a week so I haven't seen him since I have gotten these results. Someone please explain this to me.

IMPRESSION

1. There is a posterior protrusion and extrusion at L5-S1, extending into the lateral recesses bilaterally slightly greater on the right with contact and posterior displacement of the descending S1 nerves. The findings could account for a S1 radiculopathy on either side.

2. There is edema of the L5-S1 endplates, favored to be reactive/degenerative in etiology, given the intact endplates and lack of abnormal signal within the intervertebral disc space, as would be expected with an infectious spondylitis.

3. There is moderate narrowing of the left L5-S1 neural foramen.

4. There are cystic foci of the left adnexa, not fully evaluated on this exam, could be evaluated with ultrasound if warranted, the largest on the order of 1.2 CM.

5. There are foci of possible edema of the T11 and T12 pedicles and facet articular processes as described although at the margin of the exam. The findings are nonspecific, could be reactive/degenerative in etiology. Correlation with any pain at this location is recommended.

Another thing I want to mention is exactly 1 year ago I had the same MRI and the findings/impression are alot different. They are as follows:

1. Degenerative loss of signal in the L5-S1 disc. The disc causes a small ventral epidural defect and annular protrusion. The inferior endplate of L5 shows degenerative changes.

Does this seem odd to have such changes in just a year.

Any information anyone can provide me would be so appreciated.
pkayd183 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote