View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 08:22 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello, Yes, I have heard of this. I had the same experience. I had a severe locallized pain over an extracted tooth. I'm happy to say that my pain has subsided somewhat (and I hope it does not return). After going to numerous doctors, I finally did find one who told me that I might have Atypical Odontalgia which is more localized than trigeminal neuralgia. This doctor told me that one option would be to do a trigger point injection (I think some type of nerve block) and he said that in some cases the pain can be eliminated permanetly with this. How did your pain start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopy View Post
I was just recently dx'd with this. It is a form of TN. The pain is in the teeth and is pretty much constant. It is a dull aching pain ranging in severity. I'v found that most dentist are pretty much clueless about AO. From what I have learned, it seems the only treatment for this is older anti-deps such as Amitriptyline. Right now, I am trying the cayenne pepper route(zostrix). I hear it is common but rarely dx'd right.

No sharp shooting pains just almost constant dull aching pain around the teeth and gums. No trigger points either. I think I'm losing my mind at times.

Has someone out there dealt with this and if so, what was your course of action.

Also, x-rays show nothing is wrong after many dental procedures.

Thx guys
Illana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burntmarshmallow (09-02-2010)