View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post
Does everyone who is approved for disability with SSDI or SSI need a responsible payee (other than themselves) or is that just in certain circumstances ?

I hope that no one finds that question offensive. I've got my own mental health history too , but my claim was under medical for SSDI.

This question came up in another forum that I am a member of. The SSDI recipient was apparently committing fraud by working under the table. I thought it odd that his payments would not go through a payee who should have noticed the fraud sooner.
Incapable adults need a payee. SSA presumes adults are capable unless evidence shows otherwise. To be capable, you have to demonstrate the ability to not make foolish decisions with money. This can change over time. Someone may need a payee for awhile and then become stable and not need a payee. Some mentally ill people are never stable enough.

A payee is not appointed in order to deter fraud. Heck, some payees collude in the fraud of the recipient. I also think the people who observe the SSDI recipient working under the table and don't notify OIG are also colluding in the fraud.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote