Thread: Adaptations
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi, Rachel. Welcome to the forum.

Like these guys, I have a shower chair too. Ever since my MG crisis in 2005, I don't feel steady without one.

I have chairs in every room. I sit while cooking, doing dishes, drying my hair, etc. When I can vacuum, I even sometimes sit while doing that. I keep paper plates, etc. on hand in case I'm too worn out to do meals or the cleaning afterwards. I have "picnic" food on hand in case I can't cook. I keep things in the freezer for those times I can't cook. It's amazing how much time we spend in the kitchen!

If you can, keeping your muscles as toned as possible does help. Like using an In-Stride bicycle or those rubber band things to strengthen arms. That way you can do little things, like early in the day, to keep your muscles stronger. If you ever get muscles in your back that cramp or spasm, it's good to see your neuro about physical therapy.

I have "cleared the decks" so the chance of my falling is reduced. No clutter helps. Though most MGers could trip on air or choke on spit.

Emotionally adapting may be the toughest thing. If you have trouble with that, it's good to see a psychologist or psychiatrist for additional coping skills or support.

I know you just asked about physically adapting but not being able to do things often leads to feeling down.

I keep my environment as cool as possible. Not cold but coolish. I run fans when I do cooking or anything that would heat my body up. If I have to do something physical, I try to do it when I'm well-rested or earlier in the day. A reacher-grabber tool sounds silly but it can really help. Bending over can kill the leg muscles.

I hope you can figure out what you can do to keep your arm muscles, and others, from getting too worn out. If you get worse, call your neuro.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote