View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sorry.....should have been clearer there. I know that the payee is not appointed to deter fraud, that their job is to reasonably dispense the money because the SSDI recipient might not be able to manage the finances on their own.

The other forum I referred to.......a man was complaining that his brother had been collecting SSDI since he was 18 for ADHD. His complaint was that his brother was going on yet another vacation and he didn't think that was fair because he couldn't afford his own vacation and was resentful that his brother could pay because of his disability check. He went on to complain further that his brother was out partying every night and made quite a nice salary under the table.

I told him that I thought he had a lot of nerve to complain that disabled people should not be allowed to go on vacation when his issue should be that he was aware of SSDI fraud and he wasn't turning his brother in. Fight ensues.....blah, blah, blah. His extended family was all aware of the situation but no one wanted to do anything about it.......even by confronting the brother and asking him to do the right thing. I did post the fraud hotline/email info from ssa.gov and he said he email them......Who knows if he really did ? A payee having knowledge of fraud came up through that.

It made me wonder if qualifying for SSDI under a mental health disability automatically implied that the person would not be able to manage their own finances.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote