View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 04:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Spinal surgery

I had spinal decompression surgery May 11th, 2010 at the Southern Illinois University Medical Center in Springfield, IL. I am still recovering. My problem was between C3 and C7, deteriorating vertebrae and a bulging disc. My symptoms became much worse about a year ago; although I had been treated for some symptoms by a neurologist for ten years. I also underwent two knee replacement surgeries last year; when they were done, I found another neurologist who told me my spinal cord was being pinched in the neck causing these symptoms in both my arms and legs. He suggested immediate surgery to release the spinal cord. It took from December. 2009 to May, 2010 to get referred and to be scheduled for surgery. I was then told that my symptoms might not be relieved by surgery, but it might help them from getting worse. My suggestion is don't wait too long. Also recovery depends on what other problems you might have. I stayed for five days for the surgery and a month in long-term care; because I was not able to take care of myself after surgery.
I also had home health services for about six weeks and during that time I could not leave the house except to go to the doctor. I am 66 and am now staying alone taking care of myself and doing some housekeeping. I am on medicare. I am not driving yet and only leaving the house to go to the car. If you are not going to be there when your mother has surgery consider how long her recovery time might be. Also medicare has limits on length of services covered.
wildflower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lady (09-04-2010)