View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:32 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Dear Gemma17,

I am writing to you from a teacher's point of view, which I am, but not teaching this fall because I too fell and got a concussion in March.

I too had a restful summer but realized teaching music k-6 and 2 bands was not within my reach and so here I am, home. In the beginning of the summer, I was hopeful that I might return but after I went for my neuro- psych testing, it was very evident, my brain was not healed enough to return to teaching.

Let me explain myself. During the neuro testing, from 8:30 to 2:00pm, they tested my cognitive skills using a wide variety of tests - reading, memorizing, comprehension, writing, visual stimuli, blocks, and number patterns. After an hour and half, I was exhausted but I had to keep going!
At the end, my dear husband had to assist me to the car. I slept all the way home and slept till 9:00am the next morning. My brain needed to rest big time!

Gemma, I have my masters in teaching. These tests would not have exhausted me before my fall. Now, is a different story.

I tell you this story because my dear young lady, you are different now. Your tiredness is telling you something. Your brain is very tired.

It is working extremely hard, getting up early, an adjustment from the summer, more tired perhaps. Listening to bells, announcements, all the talking(yelling) in the hallways, settling into taking notes, following directions, trying to stay attentive, OMG answering questions coherently when called on and then the BIG one, being social, did I say being social, that's what high school is and you haven't even gotten home to do homework! And did I read, "I've even gone back to dance class which makes me very happy." - after school?

Consider this, you running a race without being in shape. Exhausted you would be! Your brain is on over drive and you are driving in 1st maybe 2nd gear.

No wonder "with this tiredness", "I'm just going to always be falling asleep in this class!"

Ah Gemma, do you see what you're asking your brain to do?

Now this, "I have a new set of teachers, and I don't think they know about what went on last year, but at this point I just feel like I'm bothering everyone. I had a 504 but we didn't renew it because it just gave me a pass to the nurse, and extra time on tests, and I don't need them anymore I don't think."

If I was your new teacher, I would want to know YOU but most of all anything that "went on last year". We teachers need to know, so we can guide you. You are not bothering us. It's our job to serve you and bothering isn't in the equation.

I am not a special ed teacher but from your description of your symptoms, I strongly urge you to reconsider renewing your 504. Your brain still needs restful breaks with the nurse and if you're fried from the day and you have to take a test, once again the extra time will be necessary for you.

Gemma, I'm processing so much slower and I get tired too when I am typing on the computer. I have to give myself breaks from it otherwise my headaches intensify.

So please, check with your guidance counselor about renewing your 504.

Now I am talking to you from the point of view as a Mom. I have 3 college kids. "I'm just very frustrated. I feel bad even bothering my mom with it. It seems like it should have just gone away by now."

Dear dear Gemma, I hear and so know your frustration. It has not gone away
and oh how you want it to. Once again "bothering" is not what this is all about. Receiving what will help you is. Your mom is your advocate, she loves you. Tell her where you are at and what you are feeling. She wants the best for you so you can be your best.

This letter took me close to 2 hours to write - alot slower than normal but the brain is still a teacher and a mom, my core.

The core of you is still there inside - honor it and listen to your body, it's talking to you.

Peace
Grady Lady
Grady Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote