View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Gromlily

Gromlily

Default Definitive Tests to diagnose TOS....

I know we have posted this question before, but with all the newbies, especially Colorado7 and marabunta who seem especially knowledgeable, I thought it would be good to get everyone's input on the different ways of diagnosing Tos.

For example I was able to have an Mri/Mra performed.

I was hoping everyone would be able to share the tests that were used for their diagnosis, and how effective they were, and for those who had the surgery, did they help you at all in making that decision or were they the deciding factor?? Also would you recommend that test to others?

For myself, one of the tests that I had is the MRI/MRA . I had it performed here in the Bay Area. The doctor is no longer there and is practicing elsewhere, I understand. If I were to do it again, I would go down to Southern Calif. and have it done by Dr. Collins for personal reasons that I will share if you want to p.m. me. Also because there are far more TOS physicians there that I might also consult with while there as there as fewer here every day.

I would see Dr. Collin's as he is known for the amount of time he spends talking to his patients, explaining his findings to them and educating them about TOS. In my experience, the Radiologist inthe Bay area didn't do this.

I don't feel like the MRI/MRA was a deciding factor for me. It is a very expensive procedure that only provides limited information. For example, my prior doctor's MRI/MRA missed 2 of the nerves involved in my compression; and I was told by another physician at UCSF who's name I don't recall that the MRI/MRA's can show a compression one day and not show a compression another. They are not the difinitive diagnosis that some might be hoping they are.

I also had a doppler test and numerous diagnositics performed by Peter Edglow that I wil go into further if any one wants that information, that helped to confirm my TOS. I also went through the "standards", the hands up, etc. etc.

I decided to have surgery only after 1 year and 1/2 of Edglow p.t. and after the pain and vascular symptoms continued and became more than I could tolerate. I can say that the surgery helped with my vascular symptoms, but I have been told by Dr.Ellis that the length of time of my compression and the incorrect care and p.t. contributed to the severity of my TOS, so surgery was a risk I was willing to take, even knowing that the long term outcome is not good. Currently I am feeling less pain, but still unalbe to drive, cook , clean, entertain, garden, basically have a life.

But, hopefully, eventually things will get better. I still feel like the Edglow protocol is what has helped most (besides the surgery) and pacing myself.

I hope others will add to this thread and share their experiences!! I think it could be really helpful to everyone!!

Thanks Guys!!!

G ~

Last edited by Gromlily; 02-13-2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: K.D. made a typo while removing pertinent info.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote