View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 05:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am experiencing the same problems as I did on Neurontin, urinary frequency, incontinence - well, the next thing to it, when I get the urge, I' have almost NO time to make it to the bathroom - and before I stopped taking Lyrica 3x/day, there was blood present in the urine on at least one occasion. For some reason, kidney-related problems are a side effect for me and a small percentage of people who use gaba-based meds.

This happened to me in the fall of 2003 when I was taking 2100 mg/day of Neurontin, and I went through a battery of increasingly unpleasant tests until I did the research and was able to show my Drs that this problem had occurred in a small group of people in the initial trial for Neurontin. At that point they took me off, the problem went away rapidly, and they decided I was correct - one of those, "Gee, and I'm paying YOU moments"!
Anyway, it's 3-and-a-bit years later, slightly different med, different DR, same scenario - he wants a blood/urine test first up to rule out any other problem. I'm fine with that, but I'm not going through any other testing, especially the one I call "the rack" at the urologist's.

Anyway, I've cut back to only one 100 mg pill a day, and I do notice the difference. I didn't know how much Neurontin really helped until I had to go off it, and I'm not excited about losing Lyrica from my pain-relief kit either - but I'm kinda fond of my kidney, too. I was really hoping the lower dosages of Lyrica meant this side effect wouldn't be a problem like it was with Neurontin, but no such luck!

The SCS does continue to help quite a bit, I really can't say enough about it for intractible (sp?) pain. This continued below freezing weather is taking a real toll though, I've barely been out of the house for a month, the highs have been in the single digits or teens!

beth
beth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote