View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 08:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Parkinson and LTD Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneS View Post
Having diagnosed PD for more then year I started to look on other consequences of my disease and I need an advice from somebody who has been on this road for more longer time.
I am still working full time as an engineer and will try to work as long as I can. But signs of decease become more and more visible (mostly tremor).
So in some day I will have to quit my job or will be fired (what is better ?). What then ?
What resources are available for me ?
I have Long term disability (LTD) insurance from my employer but how can it work for such slow developing case as Parkinson ?
Do I have to hire LTD layer now?
Do I have to inform my employer ?
Many questions… I will be appreciated for any advice.
I was diagnosed in 2004, and had PD when I hired on at my
current job. I reached the point where my Dr. said I should have DBS surgery. My symptoms and side effects were making it very difficult to perform the duties of my job. I started off by taking FMLA and STD. I didn't think that I had LTD because of my PD, but after checking, turns out I had been paying for it since I hired on. I am currently in the last weeks of my STD and I applied for LTD, when I realized surgery was not going to allow me to be able to go back to work. I am 47 years old.
I just found out recently that I was approved for LTD. So on September 17, my STD will be up and I will be terminated, however, I have LTD and am waiting on approval of my SSDI, which I am fairly sure I will be.
I would go ahead and file for LTD, because even if my SSDI ends up being as much or more than my LTD, my LTD still has to pay me 10% of my awarded amount as a minimum.
I hope this helped. Please feel free to ask me any questions. The DBS surgery helped alot, but it takes a long time to get everything adjusted correctly.
Thanks
Linda
Linmac 63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EugeneS (09-05-2010)