View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 01:03 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Also at Virginia Mason in Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrip View Post
I am a 75 year old male. I, too, have anti-mag neuropathy dating back about 10 years. Numbness in lower legs and feet has affected my balance to the point where I walk with a cane. Have had muscle wasting. The head of the neurology dept. at Virginia Mason in Seattle calls my neuropathy "bad." I had a once a week infusion of Ribuximab for four weeks about 6 weeks ago. I know this has helped some, but so far I've noticed no improvement. Medicare and my supplemental insurance paid for it. It's quite expensive. There doesn't seem to be much else I can try. I'm glad you had some success with Rituxan and hope it works for you again.

On the bright side, I have little pain and am still able to boat and fish.
I'm sorry to hear that the Rituxan was not very helpful to you. I would like to try Rituxan, but my insurance (Aetna) doesn't cover the cost of this treatment for anti-MAG neuropathy. I haven't had any treatments since my last IVIg treatment in 2007. My neuropathy continues to slowly progress. I definitely have had balance problems with numerous falls. I have to really pay attention to what I'm doing, especially on uneven ground. I don't use a cane, but when I walk on trails, I use walking poles that really help me to balance. Who do you see at Virginia Mason? I have seen Dr. Ravitz. He has suggested plasmaphoresis and chemo. It sounds too risky to me.

I am also thankful that I don't have much pain and can still do most things.
NancyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote