View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 03:17 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAYNE1 View Post
Hi, "frustrated"! I looked up "idiopathic" and discovered that it means "having no known cause." So, I understand that you're frustrated in that you read that dilantin can be a cause of it. Did you mention your finding to the doctor?

I am particularly interested in the long-term effects of some of these drugs on the nervous system. I am bipolar, but doctors give us a lot of drugs for epilepsy to deal with that. I was having trouble with walking, and my primary care doctor thought it might be due to my taking a high dosage of Lamictal over the years, so she took me off of that. I have also been on lots of other drugs--Dilantin, though, hasn't been one of them. Depakote was a big one.

I frankly don't think doctors want to acknowledge that these powerful drugs can damage our nervous systems. We know about tardive dyskinesia, which can be caused by anti-psychotic drugs. But I don't know how much research has been done on drugs to prevent epileptic seizures. But I can't help believing that they take a toll on our nerves.

In fact, I've been worried about staying on some of these drugs. I am now on Trileptal, due to facial pain. But I'm not on any anti-seizure drugs. I was having facial twitching.....Please let me know if you find out anything else.

Meanwhile, hang in there. I guess, as usual, the doctors have to experiment on us to see what drugs work the best for us.
to payne1
i am new at this but, to try to go over some of your questions from what i can find out.
yes i told the Dr. and he was a little calist to it. i agree with you about the effects that's why i just as soon put you with the pain (systems) i.e. i quit taking the pain meds. they wanted me to take. i been first on dilantin (9)yrs; then tegretol/dilantin ; then tegretol/depakote and now just the depakote.

you said something about facial twitching; when i had seizures i had them all one of is focal seizures . i am convensed that one or both of the pain drugs induced me to have focal seizures to have that happen after 15 yrs is pretty scary. if you havent all ready get on your friendly computer and look up everything you can. i know all about being a geany pig from back in the day of my seizures.
frustated is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote