View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 03:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Desperate

I have had RSD for 8 years in my Right Knee & Left Wrist. NEVER, and I can firmly use that word, NEVER should Amputation be used PURELY for RSD. If there are other issues, then I can't speak to that.
I was told by the orthodox that did surgery on my knee and by the one that operated on my wrist, that both joints would be as useless as amputated limbs, but NEVER suggested it.
After 2 years I found a pain Management
Doctor that cared & knew what he was doing. I was admitted to the rehab floor of an Acute Care Hospital. He inserted a catheter that injected An Anesthetic into the areas of concern.
Physical Therapists & Occupational Therapists Did Everything but Twist my Limb Totally Off. I Felt Some Pain. It was INTENSE -- 10 Hours Per Day; 7 Days Per Week.
I now move all five fingers - before none. I walk with NO LIMP, I DANCE WITHOUT having to take pain meds first.

My Advice To You: depending on finances, start training like you were in the race of your life. IF you have insurance & money, find the appropriate caregivers----If money is an issue, and it is with me NOW, then You Can Become your OWN TRAINER. Just Move that joint all the time - use NSAIDs (if ok with ur Dr). I found Motrin to be the best for me. So here is my schedule NOW that I have no money:
* I use Motrin Daily as needed
*I work exercising ONLY the injured area for as long as I can stand it.
*Ice it down for as long as you can stand it -- short periods at a time. Minimum 1 Hour.
*Then start again. Forcing movement of your affffff

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptydepth View Post
Okay, so ive had my RSD for about two years now, i have it in the side if my right knee and sometimes in my shin. i got it from sports and an accident, im actally not sure what exactly caused it. Anyway, i desire more than anything to be able to walk normally again, ATLEAST. Fortunately enough, my Rsd hasnt spread to anywhere else in my body.
ive done most everything to try and fix it. ive had several lumbar Nerve blocks, ive tried physical therapy, ive tried a tenz unit (still use it on those occasional days with random nerve spasms) Several Seizure Medications, waiting (maybe not long enough). Anyway, ive tried everything short of a Ketamin infusion and Amputation. I was just wondering if anyone here had either heard stories of Amputations or had actually had one done? Or if people had any advice as far as treatment goes?
As a side note, i am slightly concerned about cost but only because im a minor and im unsure what my parents insurance will cover. Id like to know what im dealing with first hand before i go to them for fear that theyll reject it. While i may be concerned with price of amputation and prosthetics, the price of walking and atleast being able to function semi-normally is priceless to me... Thank you for any help you provide
yiisd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote