View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 07:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiisd View Post
I have had RSD for 8 years in my Right Knee & Left Wrist. NEVER, and I can firmly use that word, NEVER should Amputation be used PURELY for RSD. If there are other issues, then I can't speak to that.
I was told by the orthodox that did surgery on my knee and by the one that operated on my wrist, that both joints would be as useless as amputated limbs, but NEVER suggested it.
After 2 years I found a pain Management
Doctor that cared & knew what he was doing. I was admitted to the rehab floor of an Acute Care Hospital. He inserted a catheter that injected An Anesthetic into the areas of concern.
Physical Therapists & Occupational Therapists Did Everything but Twist my Limb Totally Off. I Felt Some Pain. It was INTENSE -- 10 Hours Per Day; 7 Days Per Week.
I now move all five fingers - before none. I walk with NO LIMP, I DANCE WITHOUT having to take pain meds first.

My Advice To You: depending on finances, start training like you were in the race of your life. IF you have insurance & money, find the appropriate caregivers----If money is an issue, and it is with me NOW, then You Can Become your OWN TRAINER. Just Move that joint all the time - use NSAIDs (if ok with ur Dr). I found Motrin to be the best for me. So here is my schedule NOW that I have no money:
* I use Motrin Daily as needed
*I work exercising ONLY the injured area for as long as I can stand it.
*Ice it down for as long as you can stand it -- short periods at a time. Minimum 1 Hour.
*Then start again. Forcing movement of your affffff
Great advise. I have found the same experience works for me also and when I don't do it I feel worse.It took a long time for me to become a believer. My doctor always would say "get in the gym". Sometimes it's not easy especially if your just starting but so worth it as it begins to work. It's not easy when I have my ups and downs with the RSD and the PN I honestly just start feeling sorry for myself. I will stop being good to my body it's almost like I'm punishing myself for having an accident, like I had any control when it happened. Anyway when I keep myself on a excercise schedule it even helps my mood.

I agree with you and thanks for the great piece of advise.

Nice to meet you..

Gabbycakes

Thanks
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote