View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 02:14 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post
Hi.

I absolutely see your point. There is a MAJOR difference between having a terminal painful illness, and a teenager suffering angst and thinking "oh woe is me, she doesn't love me anymore, my life is meaningless" BIG DIFFERENCE.

It brings to mind a very good film by the name of Soylent Green. I don't know if you've heard of it, or seen it but it brings up what a person might be able to do (in a far distant future society), when Euthanasia might be legal.

In the film Edward G. Robinson is a very old, wise man who is helping Charlton Heston discover the secret of WHAT IS SOYLENT GREEN?

But in the film, there is this big building where people can go and take that journey that they are determined to take.

It's probably up on youtube.

The way they explain it is that the elderly or the terminally ill, can walk into a center and they can achieve their goals in a beautiful, peaceful, pain-free manner.

I was always moved by the scene where Charlton Heston arrives just in time to be with Edward G. Robinson as he exits his existence. I remember saying 'I wonder if our world will ever allow this to happen".

Of course, this does not exist at present. Perhaps some other countries have this,but I've never heard of it.

I don't think people who have a religion, well I don't believe ANY religion would condone this kind of ending.

Maybe SOME DAY down the road, this might happen, but in our present society we have pain meds, hospice and whatever we need to do.

Just know, whatever you do decide to do, I wish you God speed.

You sound like a brilliant man who has given this a lot of thought.

What's my purpose in life at the moment? To keep reading posts and continue to learn.

I have learned more since I hit 60 than I EVER learned when I was younger.

I'm like a completely different human being and my brain is like a little sponge and I want to absorb everything.

I'm not religious whatsoever but I am spiritual. I believe in positive energy and not in negative energy.

So keep posting, you have much to teach us.

Melody

Hello, Melody: "Soylent Green" -- I saw it 30 years ago or so, and never, never, never forgot the scene you refer to: the beautiful movie of landscapes and seascapes and classical music. You don't know what the Robinson character is going to do -- just go to a movie? If I remember correctly, he is the only one in the place; all the other seats are empty -- which makes his isolation all the more, well, isolated. Someday that option will exist for people: you mentioned "other countries." In Switzerland there are several groups working on it (Dignitas and Exit), but they are in the preliminary stages. Dignitas is very controversial for letting foreigners in, as well as people who are not suffering from incurable diseases.

Anyway, Robinson makes a POWERFUL portrayal, the kind that exists only in art (not rational exposes like mine), the kind I hope Dave and others will work up into the ultimate drama of what a suicidal person thinks and feels -- "To be or not to be: that is the question." Yes, it is THE question, especially for those who deny it. I, too, by the way, had rough treatment in a hospital and by people around me after my attempt: the best line to give such people may be: "Who are you talking to? Me or you?"
lebelvedere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (09-06-2010), barbo (09-06-2010), Mark56 (09-06-2010), MelodyL (09-06-2010)