View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

First off, you do not need to feel discomfort to have an upper cervical problem.

There is a BIG difference between an Upper Cervical Chiropractor and a generic chiropractor. You want to avoid any chiro who does the twist and pop neck adjustment. The C1 to cranium and C1-c2 joints can be out and not corrected by normal chiro techniques.

You can also get an injury to a major brain artery (vertebral artery) when struck at the base of the skull. Neck inflammation can slow this blood flow.

Regarding exercise, I would suggest getting a wrist type blood pressure monitor. You want to keep you BP and pulse at lower than normal exercise levels. Do a search for "buffalo" on this forum. There are plenty of posts about the Buffalo protocol for concussion.

Regarding sleep, you must make time for good sleep. You will not heal without lots of it. The neurons only heal and recuperate from the days activities during REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep. Bosses and instructors need to know how important good sleep is for you to heal.

If you do not allow your brain to heal, it will take years to get any better, if at all. You can't heal a torn ligament by continuing to use it under load. Same goes for your brain, except your brain does not generate new cells like structural body parts. It needs to repair the damaged cells. They can only repair will resting.

Your screen name looks like you may be military, possibly a Staff Sargent. Tri-Care should have good help for Post Concussion. It is a big problem with the troops.

Regarding my condition, I am on permanent disability. I had my first severe concussion in 1965. Since then, I have had many minor bumps and a few moderate bumps, the assault and hitting my head on an overhead beam. I have Post Concussion Syndrome from Multiple Impact Syndrome.

I have been knowingly living with PCS since 1971. My daily function is very high even though my dysfunctions are drastic. I have very little immediate or short term memory in both visual and auditory areas. I use the computer screen as my short term memory to help me keep my thoughts going. I have central sleep apnea so it is difficult to get consistent REM sleep.

I would suggest to anyone who is reading this to make every effort to avoid the next head impact. Studies show that subconcussive impacts are more problematic that the rare concussive impact. Subconcussive impact are devastating football athletes.

My best to you.

I am such a hypocrite. This evening, I will be watching the Boise State Broncos beat up on the Virginia Tech Hokies. Hope their brains survive.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dolfinwolf (06-11-2012)