View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Gemma,

If you get put in the "five people talking" setting again, you need to speak up. Your brain cannot process the different questions and comments from so many people. They are clueless. You need to ask for a single person to be you 504 case worker. That person should strongly moderate the flow of information in front of you. You deserve a good and appropriate 504 plan.

You need an informed advocate. Maybe your mom or one of the counselors at school. Read the section on education plans in Dr Johnson's Survival Guide online at www.tbiguide.com or for download and print out at http://www.drakecenter.com/file.axd?...vivalGuide.pdf

Take written comments to such meetings. make you case long beforehand and write it down. Then have copies for each person at the meeting. The Survival Guide should give you some good ideas of how to present your symptoms and limitations. When you can sound semi-professional with your understanding of your condition, others tend to listen to you or understand your written needs better.

Keep an binder/journal with all of these resources. Make daily/hourly notes about how you are responding to school situations. Like, 'someone dropped a book on the floor with a bang. I could not focus for the next half hour. I felt like I needed a nap.' 'Teacher was talking too fast. I could not follow her instructions.' 'Too much noise in class. I struggle to understand the teacher's words among the chatter.' ( Ambien noise can be a big problem for PCS sufferers. ) Sitting at the front of the class helps some.

Remember one thing. The knowledge you gain from understanding your own PCS condition will prepare you for greater things ahead. You will be better prepared to bob and weave through the stresses of life.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote