Thread: First Fall
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

When I do steps I do. Just like leaning over to a railing. Going down is much worse for me balance wise, and going up is when I catch my shoe toe and trip up.

We have soooooo many stairs here...they are KILLING me!

I swing the hiking pole forward ahead of me on flat stretches and walk INTO it sort of, and it tends to take some pressure off the spine as well. One does not need so much weight shifted to the poles. For someone with very short steps, or who needs to put more weight on the pole, a cane may be better. I think the hiking poles are fairly new...hubby thinks they started in Europe. Some of the manufacturers are European in fact. Whatever, though people don't stare like they tend to do when you use a cane, for some reason.

I used to use a cane for my FEET... but the hiking pole seems better for leg and back mobility than a cane for me. I have so many canes!

I started with the pole in the winters... because my PT said another fall would rip the tendon completely off and need surgery. So DO NOT FALL...was her parting advice! Now I've just expanded it to long distances, stairs, and gardening. (it helps me get back "up" when I bend for a while, etc).

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitt (09-06-2010)