View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 12:25 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

mbrook,

I am sorry to hear about how you were treated. My daughter has distanced herself from me due to some outbursts years ago.

It is likely your church board did not understand your predicament. It is not uncommon for the anger issues that are symptomatic of PCS to be attributed to a personality or spiritual deficiency. You need to become informed so you can inform others. As I have posted many times, Dr Johnson's TBI Survival Guide is very good at this. Read it online at www.tbiguide.com and download it to print out at http://www.drakecenter.com/file.axd?...vivalGuide.pdf

Here is the chapter on Anger and Depression http://tbiguide.com/angerdepress.html

My personality has changed from some of my concussions, and not for the better. Accepting my condition has allowed me to be more proactive at not being a jerk. Some say not enough, though.

The outbursts of anger are caused by a malfunction of the adrenal system. One term I found was 'adrenal cortical hyperfunction.' It has me by the throat. It take great introspection to come to terms with this symptom. One needs to learn the environments that are high risk and also the people or subjects that are high risk.

I had to 'head for the door as I struggled to contain my rage' many times before I learned the early signs. Now, I can avoid many situations or get away before the trigger is pulled.

You might want to seek some counsel from a denominational board or other group connected to the church you served. It would be beneficial to all to resolve the issues if possible. Don't be angry at their ignorance. It only hurts you. I have the same struggles as a member of a church.

Remember, most of the medical community is still in the dark about PCS. Why should a church board be any better.

My best to you.

btw, If you attempt to address with your former church board, you should have an advocate present your case for you. Also, a meeting can have too many conflicting voices that can trigger a problem so speak up about your need to not be overwhelmed with multiple voices or the overtalkers. Been there, struggles with that.

Also, don't waste your time with the brain injury book written for churches. Blame It on the Brain by Edward Welch is way off base. You can read my review of it at Amazon.

As soon as you have Private Message privileges, I can speak more directly with you about these issues. Religious issues are not to be discussed in the forum. Post some simple thoughts to different threads to speed up you approval for PM's.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote