View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 11:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default for how long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
We have discussed a few times the "amazing" effect of short term antibiotic use as reported anecdotally. Penicillin VK has been mentioned. The action seems to be anti-inflammatory.

What puzzles me is why there is no effort to reproduce these short term results as a stepping stone toward a long term use. If we go to our GP tomorrow with a UTI, he won't hesitate a second to whip out his prescription pad and give us a couple of weeks worth. Yet, they don't seem to see any value in doing exactly the same thing to move this onto the board.
Yep, we're saying the same thing. They (researchers) need to look at the fact that anti-inflammatories seem to help more than a coincidental few PWP and then look at why, what is the mechanism? I seem to remember, however, that after awhile, the "amazing" effects seemed to wear off...leaving one to wonder, what happened, and why? Did the body build up an immunity to the anti-inflammatory? Did things get as uninflamed as they could get?

Along this line, haven't they now shown than NSAIDS are not as helpful to PWP as once thought? We read some articles awhile back indicating they might even be neuroprotective, ha. If inflammation were IT, I would think NSAIDS would have shown a lot more potential than they currently have.

Maybe we have just not found the right anti-inflammatory in the right dose yet. Still, the fact that so many PWP have had pretty remarkable symptomatic relilef while on this or that antibiotic does scream for more inquiry.

And yes, we can all get a script for one of these, but for how long? That's the problem. Anyone know a doc who would be willing to give you a prescription for minocycline for six months (to see if things improved) when you don't have a known infection?
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote