View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 02:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
Just some information on E. coli. Escherichia Coli is a whole class of bacteria. Most are harmless; many live in the human gut causing no problems. One strain E. coli 0157:H7 is a major cause of foodborne illness. This strain is often found in the intestines of healthy cattle or in their manure. Many people get infected with E. coli after eating uncooked beef. And also from raw milk, unpasteurized fruit juices and produce. Humans can spread it thru the bacteria in their stools.

As far as E. coli IN the leaves, researchers are "examining" whether spinach and other vegetables can absorb E. coli and carry the bacteria within their leaves. Otherwise, it can be too tightly bound to the leaves to be able to wash it off.

Kitt
The news clip I saw last night on ... I forget which network, showed the e coli in the actual leave. In the leave. not on it. That is what startled me.

Now, maybe the picture was wrong, and the commentary was wrong, but they were saying that the e coli went up into the plant and then set up its life cycle inside the plant...