View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 04:34 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Drs. wanting to implant a SCS so fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmcmahon631 View Post
hi my name is bob and i haven`t posted any thing in a long time.I was injured in 12/18/2007 by a fall at work on ice. I went to the docs and was told i have tennis elbow torn ligament in my arm opt to a cortizone shot than a operation just to finnish out my work season.By this time because its workmens comp it was april.after receiving the shot it worked great until sept. I then received another shot and my world went upside down it was the most painful thing I almost past out. the next few days it became very swollen and it turned red i then called my docter and he said it looked like i had rsd.I then went to a pain doc which put me on all sorts of medsFor thenext few months he decided to try i block in my neck which sent my rsd even more out of control. Then he said that a spinal stimulator was the next step.Not liking this i went for a second opion which was with another pain doc in a large clinic.He then put me on differnt meds which has helped my pain isn`t as bad but still there i now have color changes but not as often and my pain comes and goes which is alot better.they tried beir blocks i think it was 5 of them It was great for about 2 weeks then back to where it was before.Now it was suggested that I have a spine stimulater again.I said i would try it the comp isurence approved it then denyed it and sent me to a surgen a M.E. he said that i should take the risk of the rsd and get the arm fixed which is scaring the heck out of me. the first pain doc said that i should never let anyone to operate on it.Dont know what to do.Dont know if anyone went through this
Hello and sorry to that your pain in your arm is acting up.

I have nerve pain in my right hand, wrist, and entire arm now since early 2007. I had several surgery's to try to fix my nerve but so far not healing right. The pain keeps getting worst to the point that I now am lucky to get 1 hour each night of sleep. My PM Dr. from day 1 has told me that I need a SCS to make my nerve pain go away so I can get a full night of sleep and live with little to no pain.

I have been reading up on these SCS units here and on other forums. What I have found is the SCS work well for folks with back pain and hip, knee, leg pain. What I also found was many folks with hand, wrist, arm, shoulder, upper back seem to have less pain relief and for a short amount of time less then a year then they have the SCS removed.

All I can say for all that we have to go through to get one of these implanted it needs to work well by no less then 75% pain relief from the beginning and for many years there after no matter which area of the body the pain is located.

I understand that each person is different but when it comes to pain relief the out come should and needs to be the same when it comes to these SCS. Long lasting pain relief.

I see a lot of Drs. pushing and trying to hard to get their patients to get these as the cure all for everyones pain. But as I keep finding more feed back it appears this is not the case with a lot of people that have had these SCS. When I questioned my Dr. really hard about this I could see he was getting mad and at the same time not giving me any answers. So sense I could not get the answers I needed from my PM Dr. I will not get a SCS.

There are many folks here that this is working for them right now and good for them. And I hope they continue to get many years of pain relief.
hurting is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
edever34 (09-08-2010)