Thread: career change?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I am an RN and did home care....it is rough work.

Depending on where you live, you are out in the elements. You do end up going out in snow storms. I could tell you some interesting stories. You do end up doing more heavy work than it seems. For example, treating a bedsore, you end up having to move the patient...usually alone. Home care seems easy, it isn't and you are on call as well. It is easier than long term care, but it is long term care at home. Most home care is done by RNs and by CNAs. There is little in the middle....since most of it has to fit, 'skilled'.

You need to be an RN to do infusions and usually they make you have certification.

I have worked for several Home Care agencies, and none of them hired LPNs.....

Insurance companies hire nurses for desk jobs but expect a pay cut.

I don't work in nursing anymore. I can't handle 8 hours, mandatory overtime or be dependable enough. I WISH I could. I wish I could do the full time work that most insurance companies require.

If you can handle shift work, being on nites is easiest...kinda.

Maybe changing to sonography? xray tech?

I am too old at this point, but I would look at the tech schools, for a shorter degree. If you do go on to get your RN, it is no guarantee of easier work....you know the spoils system....best jobs usually go to some one who has worked there the longest or kissed the most 'apples'.

Psych nursing is one exception, but, combative patients are a possibility....I would opt for that, I guess. If you do go for an RN, get into home care immediately and try to work yourself into a training job....or depending on your age...get your BSN and go immediately for your MSN....don't stop. My biggest mistake was not going on to my masters and following hubby to the cornfields. Online education was not an option back then.

Others not so bad:
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote