Thread: career change?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

PS, do NOT mention you are sick if you can avoid it.....they don't want nurses with medical issues.....in a financial recession, and I have seen this cycle over and over, they will NOT hire any one who could cost them money.

Many nursing employers are now self insured, and they don't want to pay for something like IVIG....they don't want lost time....it's a bear.

Also, I see you have been in nursing 18 years....I assume you are roughly approaching 40....you still have time for a career change, but don't diddle...you have retirement to be concerned with and don't want to enter that with school loans.

My heart goes out to you....(and to me, since we could use the income too, but thankfully hubby is working).

I am having surgery on my hands shortly....one of the first things I noticed, before I had neuropathy, was I couldn't feel veins for IVs....I felt I was going in blind....I was. Then I couldn't open the stupid sterile packages. I felt so dumb...so clumsy, and I had no concept it was PN. I am hoping the surgery restores some of my hand function. Keep this in mind when choosing a career. If your hands are affected, you will lose the fine motor skills you need for nursing.

I hate to be so blunt, but, I would hate to see you go out and spend thousands and find you can't get an IV in, or even worse, not open the package!

Others not so bad:
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote