View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well I had the surgery today and I would like to 'dispel' some of the 'scaremongering' comments I read on teh interwebz prior to the surgery.

NOTE: NONE of these examples are from this site!

1. When I left surgery the pain was excruciating for anything up to 6 months.

My reply: Are you MENTAL? Where did you get it done? The local butchers? If I didn't use common sense I would think that nothing had been done. There isn't even a tickle let-alone excruciating anything!

2. You will permanently lose all feeling in your forearm as they splice through other nerves to get at the ulnar.

My reply: *cough* (chocks on tea), no lose of feeling here, although granted it could happen... but permanently, I DOUBT IT. General logical consensus is a recovery of about 3-4 months (if it happens)... not really that long if you have been suffering it for years.

3. It is extremely painful picking things up.

My reply: I have been telling myself all day to STOP using my arm as the pain is so non-existent when carrying bags or objects about. (it was my dominant arm that got the surgery) that you forget what it has been through and needs rest!

I am sure that I will think of something more but these are the top ones. So if you are going for this type of surgery, take stuff on 'teh interwebz' with a pinch of salt. I am no super-hero but I have had no need for the painkillers they gave me.

For us Brits, I got it done on the NHS, and I have read ALLOT of great results from former patients. Just because they are not private, does not mean that they do not have the best plastic surgeons.

RobinM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote