View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Stephan,

Well no more basketball for you!!!
I'm glad you had the teeth removed and didn't wait. So I guess you are not smiling too much ;-(

As for the bone grafting.... whoever does the dental implants may add some bone graft because that area of the mouth has thin bone. So don't be surprised if that is part of the implant surgery.

Yes, your upper lip may be swollen for several days, that would be normal. The surgical sites should not be oozing blood. They may appear bloody looking but the actual oozing of blood should have stopped by now.

You should always brush your teeth twice a day no matter what. However, you can refrain from using toothpaste for a couple more days and instead, just dip your toothbrush in the warm salt water and brush with that.

About rinsing..... ONLY rinse with warm salt water. ALL other mouthwashes should be avoided completely until the gums heal closed. Listerine and ALL mouthwashes that contain alcohol are harmful to your gums and oral tissue. Those products will contribute to tooth decay and periodontal disease.... so it is best to avoid them indefinitely. If you want to use a mouthwash after everything heals up, then use an herbal one made by Jason company or Spry. They are therapeutic to the gum tissue and won't cause any problems with your teeth.

Eating... do not eat anything on the front area of your mouth until the gums have closed over. A soft food diet, no soda, no sugar, healthy... will help your immune system to take care of the healing process.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing!!!
And.... stay on the sidelines.... ok??

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanmyoung View Post
Thank you for the response Bryanna,

I hurt my teeth playing Basketball outside - I went face first into the cement... So yesterday morning I went to the dentist and had them extracted!! The dentist prescribed pain killers and antibiotics... I should have asked more questions but I didn't and the dentist never said anything about them being infected either! However after he completed the extractions
he did say that i wont need a bone graft for the implants which is good news!! So now its the day after my extraction and I have a few more questions for you.

My upper lip is still extremely swollen on the second day (is that common)

Also my gum's still seems to be pretty bloody....

Other then that I feel better today Ive only taken two of my pain killers when I needed them & Ive been regularly taken my antibiotics....

other questions - can I brush my other teeth the second day using toothpaste - can I use Listerine or should wait for it to heal a little longer

in the meantime Ive been rinsing with salt and water!!

Is it safe to eat regular food yet??
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote