Thread: flu shots
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2010, 11:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default flu shots

I know this is a topic that people feel strongly about, but I'd appreciate some discussion. I'm not sure whether I should:

a) get the flu shots, since the flu is especially dangerous for MG patients (I have not had trouble breathing, though);

or

b) not get the flu shots, out of fear of really sending my already hyperactive immune system into hyperdrive.

My (tentative) theory is that the reason I got MG in the first place is that my immune system over-reacted to exposure to H1N1 last fall, when five of my kids got it at the same time (before the shots were even available). It was after caring for them for two weeks that I got hit with my first MG symptoms. I never got H1N1 myself, though I felt for a while like I was starting to.

Ironically, if I had been able to get the H1N1 shot, I would have (I was planning to). Then I would be totally, but mistakenly, convinced today that the shot was the cause of my MG. I feel better (maybe this is silly) knowing it wasn't something I could have prevented by making a different decision.

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote