Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I like to use the dough cycle the most.
Then I shape into small loves , rolls, or long french style loaf

I use a basic recipe and adjust it as it is mixing, due to how weather/humidity affects the flour.

My machines all say to start with liquids first

1 cup warm water - to touch/ luke warm
--or split it up water/milk 50/50 {warm also}
- less if egg will be added {egg= 1/4 c liquid approx}

3 cups flour
1 teaspoon +/- salt
pinch of sugar or more if sweeter dough is wanted

then the yeast packet or equal measured amount per jar directions.

Turn it on and let it go for awhile, then I peek in and see if liquid/flour needs any adjusting - it's fine to do this - I usually err to the wet and add flour to firm it up - messier but easier to get it right.

This recipe works fine in the regular cycle too, but some machine will bake with a hot spot or sometime make a thicker crust that you really want.
That's why I like to shape and bake in the oven

And don't let it sit in the machine too long or it might get kind of soggy - I take mine out and cool it on a rack right away.

Whole wheat, Rye I know will change the liquids ratio -seems like they absorb more, so more liquid will need to be added.

For starting out a basic white might be best - til you get the hang of it.

A dough ready for rising will be fairly smooth and not sticky to the touch - the old time bread bakers used to say smooth like a baby's bottom...

Many times I totally turn off the machine - if I need to make a big adjustment and restart - dough is very forgiving so if it isn't looking right feel free to start it over again.

If your booklet has a smaller loaf recipe start with that and practice

- but the main thing is the weather does affect the moisture content in flour so the measurements aren't a hard and fast rule
- small adjustments might need to be made
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (09-10-2010)