View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 07:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie59 View Post
Thank you all for the thoughts. I did ask my family doc and he said try imodium and I pressed my neuro about it and she just said 'just stop your mestinon then.' Now I hope you are as stunned about this as I was but at the same time this is her. I have discussed her with the director of the MGA for my state and she said it souunds like she doesnt know much about MG. She is a neuromuscle doc. I said to her what about my breathing? She is such a disconnected doc.

I am unable to take any drugs that have dry mouth or thirst as a symptoms. I have severe Sjogrens. It is all I can do to drink lots of water everyday to to just keep my eyes and throat from going into pain. The eye pain can be excrutiating. It also affects my lungs making all the soft tissues dry so that is a concern too. If I get very dry from a drug like that it can affect my breathing.

I have, as Allen L suggested broken the pill down. For a pulm test using the mestinon I took a full 30mg over 30 mn and ended up vomiting on the way home. It is so disappointing. When I was first diagnosed with probable MG I using 60mg 3-4 times a day and did not have this. I have elevated parathyroid (secondary hyperparathyroidism) since that became worse again. I think that may have something to do with it.

My meds are limited. I take mestinon and Lortab and tons of Systane for my eyes gel and drops.

I know it is important to ask ones doc but I find that if I have some idea of what others are using it gives me a place to start especially since the dry mouth thing is an issue.

Oh and I do use a probiotic.

Annie59
Hmm-docs sure can make some weird remarks-just have to blow them off and move on. I have a trrible dry mouth condition ( asymptom of Lambert eaton Myasthenia and not regular MG-just an interesting tidbit) The mesiton causes excessive "lubrications" and it has given me back a wonderfully moist mouth again. No water or fluid could ever help in past. What level of Mestinon are you taking? I hated the dry mouth issues and know exactly what you are NOT saying out loud- Hope the Mestinon helps soon.
TRESA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote