View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraby View Post
My name is Lynda and I am writing to learn more about how to help my son recover from his first rib resection surgery.

Blake is a very healthy 24 year old that was diagnosed with TOS on Aug 3rd after having a blood clot in his left arm and enumerable pulmonary emboli. He had surgery at Stanford Hospital on Aug 31st. The surgeon removed the left first rib and the scalene muscles and said it was a textbook surgery and all went very well. But the past week has been a roller coaster. He has been in constant pain. Originally the pain was in his back just behind his left shoulder blade. Now it is in his left shoulder and arm. He is on constant pain meds and muscle relaxers and even takes ativan from time to time to help him relax. Ice seems to help with the swelling too.

I honestly thought that he would begin improving by now but he is still just as bad as a week ago. He starts physical therapy today and doesn't have a followup with the surgeon until next week. I feel like he needs to be seen by the surgeon sooner. Am I just being a worried mum or is this constant pain something he will have to live with for a while.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Lynda
Hi Lynda I am a mom that my daughter had surgery back in 1997 from a 95 injury, She was 16 at the time of the injury.
I don't know what the worse surgery you every had but there is so much tramua from the poking, prodding, pulling. To remove the rib large mechanic size cutters are used. THey have to pull every nerve and identify it as to not cut them.

They do end up being truamatized, and flare. The blood clot was the vascular end of it, after the space was open with the rib gone, then the scalense muscle in the neck had to be seperated, and likely a bypass of the affected arties or veins around the scalense area.
I bet it feels like a butcher knife in the area above the wing...there is a nerve that runs along there that is a painful trigger. It is inflamed and the muscles around it try to make a splint to protect it. Right were the nerve inserts into that muscle. THose muscles are the Hanger if you picture one for the wings to sit in.
Some times ICE right on that spot, and some gentle pressure, or a tennis ball pressing in may help.

The surgery is like someone sticking there hand with a wrench in it into the neck and pulled, cut, covered and sewed up.
So a week is when you feel the worst really.

I also agree, I bought a used recliner for $50 for my daughter, (sanitize it for bedbugs now a days). Ice, we used frozen bags of peas, make sure to mark not to eat.
Pillows in the arm pits or small rolled towels.
Keep up on the medication, do not wait until the pain is there, take it on time! better then playing catch up. Make things in reach, oh, and many times a baby boppy for the waist is great support while in that recliner.

But realistically, it could take a month to calm down the nerves and body from the surgery, and 6 months to a year to feel what the results are.
I find it particulary odd how many blot clot cases are being diagnosed and treated that we meet on the forum.

Traditionally it is only about 5% of True TOS, not disputed TOS diagnosed which is about 95%. I wonder why the increase?
But over the years we have had many young people on here.
Welcome, and feel free to pick our brains or look for a hug.
di
OH, Toradol is a great anti inflamatory that is non narcotic so doc's do not argue the use. The shot is better...if your son is in the worst type of tooth ache pain almost in tears with the pain, a "shot" of toradol will help.
I am able to manage with my PCP providing my shots in huge flare ups. Better then pills.

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (09-12-2010), Jomar (09-11-2010)