View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

mbrook,

I know how you feel trying to get through the process. The paperwork can be a nightmare. Have you considered applying for Social Security Disability Insurance? The first thing they do is have to apply for SSI income. The Social Security Office may be a bit more supportive. The SSDI application process is slow but the SSI process is much faster to try to prevent people from falling through the cracks, so to say. You sound like you would qualify for SSI. It also gets you out of the overtaxed offices of the State of California.

Regarding the paperwork, I find it helpful to have some blank sheets of paper to cover the page so I only see the few lines I am working on. My brain gets easily overwhelmed by the whole page of blank spaces needing a response.

This does not help with the 'judgment call' answers that quickly get overwhelming.

Have you tried approaching your past employer for 'benevolence fund' help? They also may be able to direct you to someone who can act as your advocate and help you fill out the forms. You really need to find a person to help you. Calif will likely not be much help with finding someone who can assist you due to their budget problems.

Have you tried to get assistance from the Brain Injury Association? Some one else mentioned this too. Here is a link to some resources. http://www.caregiver.org/caregiver/j...sp?nodeid=1052

Have you put together a three ring binder to keep papers? It helps immensely to have a way to keep papers ordered. A three hole punch and binder are a necessity for those of us with struggles.

Print out pages like this so you can highlight the most important items. Trying to remember to do these things is problematic and overwhelming.

My best to you.

btw, What part of California are you in? Maybe we can help find more local resources for you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote