View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 02:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'll try to share some...not a good typing day, though!

The tests I've had, with results:

-Physical exams, of course...Dr. Centeno's was the most thorough soft-tissue exam I've had, I think, and he's the first one who mentioned TOS. I had another exam the following day by an IME PM&R doc, who also mentioned TOS...both of these dx based only on exam and history. Have had many exams that included specifics for TOS (Roos, Adson's, etc.)...pulse usually disappears, hand gets numb with Roos.
-EMG/NCV: 1st one showed slowing over the brachial plexus; 2nd one showed slowing of something compared to right arm.
-C-spine x-rays, MRI, shoulder MRIs, brachial plexus MRI: had disc bulging and encroachment on exit foramen at C5-7; BP MRI showed swollen lymph nodes. Shoulder MRI showed some leftovers after shoulder surgery, with joint and ligament repairs.
-Multitudes of injections! Most definitive was the interscalene (brachial plexus) block...arm was completely numb for a day, and numb enough to be unusable for a couple more days. Pain was gone for several hours, except some mild pain under shoulder blade. Also have had facet injections, scalene block, pec minor block, SC block, IMS, selective nerve root block, epidural steroid injection...feeling a bit like a pincushion after remembering all these!
-Dr. Centeno had me do a test where I stood on a platform, and it measured how steady my balance was. He said it was really off, but I was taking Lyrica at the time which made me dizzy, so I'm not sure if that was the cause.

I'm sure there have probably been more...just can't remember any more right now. I'll add later if I think of something else that might be helpful.

I've had a LOT of docs, from a wide variety of specialities, all come up with the TOS diagnosis...mine originated from a car accident, with obvious shoulder injuries and collarbone instability, so I'm sure having a clear precipitating factor helped piece things together. I will add, though, that even Dr. Centeno says he's not sure how much is due to ongoing compression, and how much is actual brachial plexus damage from the accident itself.

Gotta stop...

Take care, all!
Donna7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote