View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 04:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
Whenever I enter the NeuroTalk forums I usually notice how many folks are "viewing" a particular forum... and never, not ever, have I noticed the high number of "viewers" I've seen recently in our SOS forum.

And then to see the number of folks that have been reading along with this thread... well, I can only imagine and hope that each is gaining some very valuable insight into this very real human dilemna. Its damn difficult being a human ... isn't it?!!

I really have appreciated how civil, respectful and yes, even careful some of the posts have been written.

David, I completely understand that in your youth you fought a horrible depression demon. I know many are very happy that you continue to fight and you are still with us! Sometimes we must walk in the same shoes before we really understand. I know that you know I understand.

Tom, hand in hand with your physical pain likely comes depression, as so often we have learned here in these forums. I sincerely wish that you are successful in your fight to squash both your pains as each are very real. I apologize if I have missed, in my reading, that you are indeed taking care of your mental health as well. You have a gift with words... and I have said this to a few here (David and Mr. Moi, whom you haven't met, come to mind) - you should be writing about your trials... you have a lot to share and your passion may be what keeps you going through all of this.

Hello, Addy: Thank you so much for your kind words and wishes. It is people like you who make this site the wonderful refuge that it is.

I would love to write about my trials; in fact, I love to write about them all ready, this moment, to you. Ideas constantly shape up inside me about the subject of suicide: I mentioned one -- a group of people discussing/arguing/agreeing about 9/11; as the story unfolds, the viewer or reader slowly becomes aware that the people died in the Twin Towers. Another idea: you probably know about "The Lost Weekend" (Ray Milland), a mesmerizing movie about an alcoholic. To my knowledge, a suicide equivalent has never been done. I'm not sure it would change the way the general public thinks about suicide; however, it definitely would give them a new pair of glasses.

The hurdle for me and for others on this site who would like to start serious creative writing projects: the simple reality is that to go anywhere, you MUST have a literary agent. Not just any agent, either: the word is that 20% of the agents do 80% of the contracts. Understandably, the agents who are in the 20% don't want anything to do with a somebody like me, who is a complete unknown. "Understandably," because first novels and screenplays by unknowns typically don't sell; the agent expects to turn a profit later, by having clients who are starting their careers and will build something up. At age 66, I am a bad bet for them. I had better add, I don't personally know anybody in the business. Not one.

I go into this, Addy, because ... apart from the compelling and imaginative comments others have shared on this thread, please look at the Artistic Expressions in this Survivors of Suicide forum. Astounding!! Over 20,000 hits!!! No need to dish out the usual platitudes about suicide and creativity ... 'Nuff said.

I hope that all of you who want to pursue creative writing projects and who are in a better situation than I am, will hear my words, take advantage of them -- then go for it!! I KNOW you are out there; SOS shows it. Nobody can tell anybody otherwise.

Bestest to you, Addy. Keep doin' what you're doin'.

Tom

Last edited by lebelvedere; 09-11-2010 at 04:21 PM.
lebelvedere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (09-12-2010), Alffe (09-11-2010), barbo (09-11-2010), Mark56 (09-11-2010), Rrae (09-11-2010)