View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 03:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alffe View Post
LOL..but you digress in a good way! And I knew that you and David would have much in common.

Songs at 14?? Could it have been Eddy Arnold singing Make The World Go Away? Wizard of Oz definately! My favorite Dostoyevsky book is The Idiot. And I am curious if you have read Emile Durkheim's "take" on suicide?

Mr Alffe and I had a long, very negative conversation over lunch today about the state of the world and our countries place in it. About how WAR used to be such a good thing, a common bond between our citizens,
about how youth today feels so entitled to everything and wanting instant gratification. All the wrong things seem to be important today.

That is "old fart" thinking but I believe in calling a spade, a....fork?
Hello, Alffe:

LOl -- call a spade a fork! Or a fork truck, why not?

Yes, "All the wrong things seem to be important today." So, what is important?

Here's what really counts. Check out this web site: http://www.chuckjones.com/studios/warner.php. I made the earth-shattering discovery that your avatar has a name: Michigan J. Frog. You have solid credentials: the Library of Congress called One Froggy Evening "culturally significant." Spielberg called it the "Citizen Kane of animated movies." So much for Rosebud...

I have read excerpts from Durkheim's pioneering work on suicide. After all these posts and my own attempt, I guess I'd better get into it on a serious basis. Marcel Mauss, an anthropologist, was related to Durkheim. There was a lot of creative work being done back then for the pure love of what they were doing. Mauss' signature phrase: "Society always pays itself in the counterfeit money of its dreams." I think part of the explanation of suicide lies therein. Anyway, war, youth, instant gratification: see what Mr. Alffe thinks of that one. Let us know...

Bestest,

Tom
lebelvedere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (09-12-2010), Alffe (09-12-2010)