View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 09:06 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Reply to BigBug tDCS spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBug View Post
Hey to All! I am new to this site but have loved reading all of the stories for some time. My wife is a long term (greater than 10years) sufferer of RSD. Began as facial though is now spreading. We have tried most modalities of treatment and none have workled - except short lived good results from Ketamine infusions.

My question to you all: Have you, or anyone you know of, experienced tDCS and had side effects of flashes of light followed by a painful shock?

We are attempting tDCS and I am wondering if the placement of the anodal electrode may be involving the occipital nerve instead of just the motor cortex. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sorry about RSD and the scare of the shock. I have worked with tDCS and occasionally have patients experience both the light and the shock. Fortunately, you're dealing with very low current, but it can give a tiny voltage spike that doesn't seem tiny. Causes come from contact glitches, batteries that are nearing the voltage shut off levels (even if they are "new") and unfortunately the quirks of the particular machine.
Just reviewing, the cathode has been used to reduce pain or overactivity whereas the anode is used to enhance neuronal activity. Bilateral scalp placements can get confusing and to simplify things, you can place the other electrode over the trapezius on the opposite side unless the RSD doesn't allow you to.
Make sure your pads are fairly large and close to the same size. Extra salt helps conduction as does a little pressure on the electrodes.
Hang in there
FXneuro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote