View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 08:38 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alffe View Post
Oh my..I should know better than to ask Mr.Alffe what he thinks..because he tells me, and tells me, and tells me! Just one of the things I love about him but it's exhausting and I always wish I'd taken notes.

He thinks that "How you feel overpowers how you think." and he noted that he wasn't just talking about pain. He has had difficulty understanding depression..his reaction has always been "Get up and do something!"
He has always surrounded himself with "thinkers". Always felt that developing theories was the way to live your life....and then Michael, our only son, his namesake, killed himself.

To say that it rocked his boat is an understatement. That "quicksand of feelings" he calls it, can be overwhelming.

It astounds me sometimes to think that we have been married for 52 years...I, who have always leaned toward the depressed side, and he, who is the eternal optimist.

When I hear that train coming...I run to the conductor..you fill in the name.

(Michigan J. Frog) ROFL
Hello, Alffe: Thanks for yours. "How you feel overpowers how you think" ... tell Mr. Alffe that he is of the classic Montequieu school. Not a bad place to be. If a person doesn't know about that feelings overpower reason, a suicide will teach them "right quick."

I knew a couple who were hardcore Republican far-rightists -- they stoicly, rationally debated and discussed everything political. Then their daughter married a state senator who was a typical Democrat liberal. The couple supported their son-in-law fervently when he ran for re-election. I asked them how they could do it. "Blood trumps ideology" was their response. LOl.

It's O.K. to run to the conductor. Just be sure you aren't on the tracks...

Bestest, Tom
lebelvedere is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (09-13-2010), Alffe (09-13-2010), barbo (09-13-2010), Mark56 (09-13-2010), Rrae (09-13-2010)