View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 05:41 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Left-sided afflictions

Hi Everyone,

I am new to NeuroTalk but used to post a fair amount on BrainTalks MS forum. I am a veterinarian-turned-reseacher following my diagnosis of celiac disease and subsequent miraculous recovery from a myriad of symptoms, including allergies, IBS, fibromyalgia, insomnia, depression and more. This really got my attention and I plunged into medical literature research as well as applying all that I had learned to my veterinary patients (and clients who would listen) with astonishing results. So, I created a Website to chronicle my discoveries and show the results.

I have had people suffering from MS contact me and those that have applied the dietary guidelines I write about have shown very good results, with one person I know having a full recovery including remission of lesions on follow-up imaging studies. This all makes sense to me after 7 years of intensive reading as to the real causes of neurodegenerative diseases.

But this thread is for something very specific and I would really appreciate your input.

Along the way, I started seeing some very interesting patterns. One of them was the observation that the vast majority of immune-mediated events of the eye occurred first in the left eye. This included keratitis (diseases of the cornea), uveitis (inflammation inside the eye), glaucoma, dry eye, and cataracts. In over 90% of the cases, the left eye was afflicted first and then the right IF it occurred in the other eye. This became true of other immune-mediated events, including peripheral neuropathies, equilibrium problems, and even kidney disease in the cat.

Two weeks ago, I had a woman who brought her dog in for an eye problem and it was on the left. As I have become accustomed to doing, I leaned out of the exam room and said "Hey Gena (my main tech), it's another left eye." The client said "What's up with that?" I explained and she said "That is so weird. I have lupus and it just hit my eyes and it hit MY left eye first." I said "Uh huh. Funny how that happens, eh?" And she said "But that's not all. I am a nurse and work in oncology and we have the same thing going in our office about breast cancer. It seems to be in the left breast MUCH more often than the right* and we make note of it just like you and Gena do." (*which I have now confirned). I had another tech three years ago have two MS attacks and they were both on her left side.

There are some interesting "fun facts" that go along with this concept, including the fact that approximately 90% of people are right handed (controlled by the left hemisphere of the brain), most are right-eye dominant (again, left brain), and that most of the amino acids in our body are left-handed amino acids (confirmed by Louis Pasteur).

But what I would like to know is whether any of you have experienced this pattern of the left side being affected before or more often than the right side?

Thanks for your help. I hope this helps you in some way.
John
DogtorJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote